As the regulator of nurses and midwives in the UK, the mission of the NMC is to safeguard the health and wellbeing of the public, as required by the Nursing and Midwifery Order 2001
. We achieve this in various ways, primarily by:
- maintaining a register of nurses and midwives
- setting and maintaining standards of education, training and conduct
- ensuring that nurses and midwives keep their skills and knowledge up to date, and uphold the standards of their professional code
- ensuring that midwives are safe to practise by setting rules for their practice and supervision
- providing mandatory guidance and additional advice to people designing and developing education programmes.